Home     Mission    Building    Staff    Events    Get Involved    Store    Education     Resources     Media Room     Contact    

OUR BUILDING

 

The Historic 1905 Jefferson Barracks Post Exchange and Gymnasium Building
Historic Jefferson Barracks, St. Louis, MO

The Jefferson Barracks Post Exchange & Gymnasium Building was originally designed in 1903 by the United States government and built a short time later in 1905. It was designed as an athletic and activity center for the commissioned officers at the base. Our building is known to have three surviving sister buildings in existence today, one at Fort Monroe, Virginia, one at Madison Barracks, New York, and another at the F.E. Warren Air Force Base in Wyoming.

 

Future home of the Missouri Civil War Museum.
Photograph taken prior to restoration work starting 
in July 2003.

Artist rendering of building.  2008 Richelle Flecke

Photographs of the Post Exchange Building taken 
from a blimp in the 1920s.

Yellow box outline marks the location of the Post 
Exchange Building at Jefferson Barracks in this early photograph, circa 1920's. Large plain area in 
foreground is the Mississippi River.



2009 Missouri Civil War Museum